U14 Titans triumph in Cup

posted in: U15 Boys Titans News | 0

Titans travelled to Division 4 outfit Amaranth Colts looking to keep their season alive in the Supplementary Cup. On a perfect day for playing football the first half turned out to be a very even affair with both sides chasing the game. Amaranth had the better attacks on goal but Titans keeper Ewan was in fine form, denying the home side a number of opportunities by being quick off his line and forcing the early shot. Titans were struggling to keep the ball down and play their passing game, and chances up front were few and far between. It looked as though the game was going to remain scoreless at the break until substitute Ben made a strong run forward and smashed a shot home from the edge of the penalty area to give Titans a 0-1 half-time lead.

With the game finely balanced Amaranth were still looking dangerous on the break and were awarded a penalty when Jocky was adjudged to have brought down one of their players in the box. However Ewan made himself as big as possible on his line and the penalty taker put his shot wide of the post. The home side had another great chance to equalise on the break but Ewan again made a terrific fingertip save at full stretch to deflect the ball wide of his goal. Fortune seemed to be favouring Titans for a change, and when a loose ball came to Ben at the other end he crashed it home from the edge of the 6-yard box to claim his second of the game and put Titans 0-2 up.

The game was still very competitive and the Titans defence had to put in some hard work to keep Amaranth at bay. Matt made some crucial tackles out on the left and Jack and Jamie S were winning some great headers in the centre. Liam made a rare appearance in midfield and showed some good touches, and Jocky continued his great run of form. He was rewarded for his hard work with a rare goal when his persistence saw him take the ball through the Colts defence and toe-poke a shot past the keeper. With a 3 goal lead the game was looking safe for Titans, but as is often the case they switched off at the back momentarily and allowed the home side to pull a goal back. They continued to press though and Jocky, Mikey and Callum were showing some nice link-up play down the right-hand side. It was from one of their neat moves that Callum was played through into the penalty area and his shot looked to be going wide until an unfortunate Amaranth defender turned it into his own net. With the clock running down Amaranth continued to chase the game to their credit, and a scramble in the Titans goal mouth saw Mikey harshly adjudged to have handled the ball and the Colts were handed their second penalty of the game. This time the ball was well struck inside the far post, but it turned out to be the last kick of the game as the whistle went before the game could be restarted. Final score 2-4 to the TItans.

Overall this was a deserved win against determined opposition, and Titans showed that they are capable of playing some superb football. Hopefully the draw for the next round will be kind to them and they can look to progress further in the competiton.

Man of the Match was Ewan for an inspired performance between the posts.