U14 Titans edged out in 7 goal thriller

posted in: U15 Boys Titans News | 0

This game saw Titans up against Leeds City Colts, their promotion rivals from last season. On a cold but bright afternoon the first 15 minutes was an even affair, with both teams creating chances. However it was the home side who opened the scoring, opening up the Titans’ defence with an incisive through ball. They then doubled their lead shortly afterwards, their striker just nicking the ball from keeper Ewan who was still struggling with the injury that hindered him last week. The scoreline did not reflect the balance of play though, and Titans deservedly got back into the game when Ben slotted home after a great through ball from Callum. Titans continued to press and when their persistence forced a corner Matty whipped the ball into the 6-yard box and Jamie S was on hand to sidefoot home the equaliser. Half-time 2-2.

The second half started in similar fashion with both teams looking to attack, but it was Leeds who regained the lead. Titans didn’t let this setback unsettle them though and were playing the better football. Jamie G was putting in his best performance to date at the back and is improving with every game. Jocky was battling hard in midfield, and Charlie looked more at home having moved to midfield from his first half stint in defence. Up front Matty and Ben were chasing everything and harrassing the City defence. Unfortunately Ewan’s injury forced him to retire from the game for the second week in succession and Luke took over between the posts. Titans eventually got their just rewards though courtesy of a classic counter-attack, Ben racing through to calmly place the ball wide of the advancing keeper.

The game was finely balanced now and could have gone either way, but unfortunately it was the home side that had the final say, firing home a cross that skidded across the mouth of the goal. There was still time for Titans to threaten another equaliser – Ben had the ball in the net but was denied his hat-trick by the referee’s whistle for a foul in the build up. Jamie hit a thunderous 40-yard drive that forced the keeper to beat the ball behind his goal, and from the resultant corner Matt got his head on the ball but it flew just wide. Eventually time ran out and the Leeds City players, coaches and parents were mightily relieved to take all 3 points from the game – final score 4-3.

Man-of-the-match was a difficult choice once again as everyone played out of their skins, but the award went to Jocky for a battling performance in midfield.