U14 Titans in late slip-up

posted in: U15 Boys Titans News | 0

Titans travelled to league leaders Garforth Rangers buoyed by their pre-season friendly win against them a few weeks earlier. However Rangers had since hit a good run of form whilst Titans had slipped to a string of heavy defeats in recent weeks, so the form book favoured Rangers. The first half was an even affair though, with Titans playing up the slope in foggy conditions. However they had the better of the chances and were looking to catch Rangers on the break. Paul fired a shot across the 6-yard box which just went outside the far post, and was then narrowly offside from a great through ball from Ben. Titans were looking composed at the back, with Jamie G growing in confidence and Jamie S his usual solid self. The two sides were level at half-time – 0-0.

Titans took to the field for the second half looking determined to press the Rangers’ defence, and when substitute Matty got a second chance at a ball in the 6-yard box he made no mistake slotting it into the far corner to give the visitors the lead. This gave Titans confidence and they started to play some great football, passing the ball well and pushing for a second. When Matty put in a great cross after some persistent play down the right Paul was on hand to fire home when the keeper fumbled the ball – 2-0. With Titans now looking comfortable, they almost added a third shortly after when a tremendous volley from Matty was well saved by the Rangers keeper. The home side were also relieved when a defender headed off the line following another TItans attack.

However, Titans recurring failure to deal with set-pieces reared its head again when a rare Rangers corner was allowed to bounce past several defenders in the 6-yard box and was bundled in by a grateful Rangers player. Titans seemed to switch off after this set-back and a few minutes later conceded an equaliser when keeper Luke could only parry a long-range shot up and over his head and it bounced into the goal. After dominating for such long periods of the game Titans would have been unlucky to only leave with 1 point, but worse was to come in the final seconds of the game when over-elaborate defending let in a Rangers player to gleefully grab their 3rd. The referee blew the full-time whistle almost immediately after the restart and Titans were left pondering how they had managed to lose this game.

Disappointing though this result was, the Titans overall were excellent with great performances from everybody. So now they have to dust themselves down and just look to reproduce the same performance in their next game.

Man-of-the-Match: Jamie S.